Friday, February 1, 2008

Random Thoughts about Nationals

Now about Nationals. I can't believe I waited a week to say anything. The shock of it all has had time to wear off. I know I'm not the only one who feels bad for Johnny Weir. I've gotten email about it. I know not everybody loves Johnny Weir but I think this sport really, really needs people like Johnny Weir to set the ice on fire. I mean isn't that the direction we want Figure Skating to go? Now that I've seen the Nationals Exhibition - and Johnny Weir skating "Ave Maria"I have to say it just makes me like him even more. I can't help it... Go Johnny!

McLaughlin and Brubaker - they really tore up the ice too, huh? I'm not sure how many more performances we'll be seeing of Baldwin & Inoue.. but that was some moment on the ice for those two. Maybe they stole a little of McLaughlin & Brubaker's thunder?

The ladies - the 14 yo Mirai Nagasu and 15 yo Rachel Flatt. A whole new generation of skaters coming into their spotlights. I have a feeling there will be even more of that.

And you know we love Tanith & Ben. Which is saying a LOT. Because sometimes I think my daughter just pulls for whoever is against whoever I'm pulling for. Not just figure skating but in all sports. We love Tanith & Ben - such incredible passion... Absolutely beautiful skaters.


***For those of you checking the blog to see if I've posted "Getcha Head in the Game" - I'm haven't and I'm not. Not yet anyway. Its been shortened to a minute version for this competition. And I think I'm going to wait until it is the full program to share. I did take my camera to the rink to try and video her during her lesson but she was pretty small in the view finder and I don't think it would turn out well unless I was skating myself and 'chasing her around the ice' as I like to call my filming. So that said... sorry you're prolly going to have to wait til April to see it.

No comments: