Saturday, June 14, 2008

I drew a pattern

Now to get back to something skating related. Last week I drew a pattern. I actually watched Lexie skate something and sketched it out on a piece of paper. Waltz eights has been one of those things that she hasn't worked on a whole lot. She skated it to pass Freeskate 3 a little over a year ago. And she skated it some during a few times where we had planned to have her test Pre-Pre moves finally. At this point she is planning to take the test in August. She was going to take the test in May but I had to cut back the lessons due to some unexpected financial issues. At any rate, lest anyone think shouldn't she have already learned a waltz eight. And shouldn't I actually have a real diagram somewhere for reference? Without me having to try and draw something myself? I swear patterns make absolutely no sense to me. I think I kind of have the idea behind some dance patterns like dutch waltz and cha cha but only because I've seen them skated enough that I can begin to relate to a bunch of lines on a piece of paper. But I certainly don't think I could look at a bunch of lines on a piece of paper and transfer that to ice. So for me to see something skated on the ice and think I could translate it to paper from my head is huge. I was very proud of myself - even if it wasn't a whole bunch of complicated lines.
So here is my attempt....

And guess what Lexie was correct - I did not get it exactly right. And then I found an actual diagram online.

Oh well, I'm still proud. A pattern almost made since to me. I think I'll stick to knowing my jumps and spins and let the coaches handle helping her learn the patterns. **sigh**

No comments: