Thursday, June 19, 2008

I want my DVD

It has been almost 3 whole weeks and still no dvd from State Games. I keep checking my mailbox everyday.. nada. It is all I can do to not send email to complain. I know the order form said allow 2-4 weeks for delivery. I just didn't think it was really going to take four weeks to get here:( Remind me not to order anything again that needs a month delivery time.
Argh.

While I wait for my dvd I'm going to be sharing some thoughts about some skating related movies. When I started this blog I mentioned something about reviewing some movies and telling what I think. I think I'll start with Blades of Glory. What a funny movie. Quite vulgar though. I wouldn't (if I were you) let my pre-teen watch it. But I'm not -you that is- and I already did. I had no idea. She watched it with me the first time I saw it. As we tend to watch movies together unless they are scary movies - then I wait until she is in bed. Anywho nobody reviewed it first and told me it was inappropriate for children. I've been seeing a lot of Blades of Glory popping up lately. Pictures from the movie made their way onto the calendars at our rink. The movie was shown at the skating camp an online friend's children are attending.
You ever notice how in skating movies nobody ever does anything in their programs (just fluff)? Like for instance Chazz Michael Michaels did 2 jumps in his program one of which was a split jump which my daughter's coach tells me doesn't even rate any points under IJS. And he did 3 spins. Everything else was just skating around doing nothing. I don't know about you (or your kids) but my daughters' programs are and have always been packed full of stuff. Her last years program had 2 solo jumps and 3 jump combinations. Seriously. Also what about the short/long programs in this movie. Hello everybody at the senior level has to skate 2 events. And dance has to skate 3 events. And we all know thanks to Johnny Weir that you can't tie in figure skating at the senior level. And even if you did tie (like in lower levels of figure skating) if there were 2 first places the next place would be third. And senior mens doesn't allow vocals in music. Vocal music is only allowed in dance. Unless it is a showcase. Which was more what Jimmy & Chazz did. But that wouldn't get you a gold medal at the Olympics. Okay - yeah I have fun picking out the mistakes in movies. There are a lot in this one.
Just don't expect it to be remotely accurate to figure skating. Take it for what its worth as just a funny movie. And don't let your kids watch it. Lest they embarrass you doing the Chazz Michael Michaels dance in public.

No comments: