Monday, October 13, 2008

Nutcracker

I found out last week that Nutcracker rehearsals will start November 1st. I couldn't be more excited. My daughter did Nutcracker in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006. I did Nutcracker in 2005 & 2006. So this will be my 3rd and her 5th Nutcracker on Ice. It is always so much fun. It is my favorite part of figure skating. I always get stressed out around competition time. But Nutcracker has this whole other 'feel' to it. I hate everything about competitions frilly lacy dresses with sequins and glitter. I could go on and on about how much I hate glitter. Which I was doing just last week to some poor person at work as I was prying glitter out my pores like it was poison on my face. But I suck all that up and spray boatloads of glitter into my daughter's hair and twist crystal twirlies into her head. And somehow despite my aversion to those things she manages to look like a figure skater when she skates onto the ice.
I wanted to quote "Go Figure" but I can't find the movie and I can't google the quote I want. Or least I'm not googling it right. So here is a paraphrased version.

"So tell me Caitlin what is it you love about figure skating" - Coach Natasha Golberman
"Oh that's easy the glitter"
"And well when my feet hit the ice I feel like... no one can judge me, except the judges of course." - Caitlin Kingsford

The first time I saw the movie I laughed at that quote. Its ALL about the glitter. I think our daughters would be just as happy if we bought out the glitter counter at Claires and we wouldn't even have to spend so much money on skating lessons and ice time. I like the other part of figure skating, the part without the glitter. The part that I get to share with my daughter once a year when Nutcracker rolls around.

No comments: